20140907

Sharing the Trail

Monday
Ive banked on looking ridiculous.  How dog walking becomes such a difficult concept I don't know. 
Being responsible for their safe exploration of the outdoors beyond the enclosure of their backyard has proven to be needed.  Who's schedule am I trying to keep?   They aren't interested in anything besides trailing behind me or becoming semi permanent fixtures wherever I'm resting.  Sometimes it seems as if I'm trying to outsmart them but it never works.  Either I give up and start speaking nonsense in their direction or they simply wander off to some other room in the house. 
I plan on corraling them for an evening walk and again in the morning as I master the art of dog walking, picking up behind sir poops alot, all while enjoying a fresh cup of hot coffee.  May or may not find me presentable.  I imagine the dogs and I  could hop in the car, drive around the block 3 or 4 times- then once we're all focused, go for a nice decompressing walk together. 

Tuesday
Whew we had a good walk this evening.  Out and back, leashed then unleashed, everything put away in just under an hour.  Not sure how come one of the two has decided to go on a hunger strike but its happening.  Before our walk last evening I put down food for them and only one bowl was empty.  Either they shared food (highly unlikely) or one just decided against eating.  I'm pretty sure she's eaten since then just not very much.  My fault of course- decided to visit Hardees for Breakfast takeout on Monday.  Ordered a breakfast platter and used the gravy and sausage over their kibble while I enjoyed the flaky home made biscuit and scrambled eggs with my coffee.
Tonight we logged .97 mile 22:14 minutes using Runtastic.  There is an option or app add on by Runtastic or Map My Run for tracking dog walks specifically.  I just count walking them as a 'hiking' activity on my profile. 
We listened to about 5 songs.  One from the E.N.D. album by Black Eyed Peas  two Rihanna tracks, and could have listened to this song on repeat the entire time without getting annoyed.  



I should get more persistent with logging our walks together.  They should eat now.  I'm through with this post update for tonight.  

  
Wednesday
How did I know keeping this plan of walking the dogs in the morning and evening wouldn't stay consistent without some hassle.  I have a case of violent hiccups right now while trying to concentrate on composing this update.  Must be from trying to sneak in a sip of coffee here and there during our walk this morning.  
Majestic fog covered the ground and limited visibility slightly.  We spent 25 minutes touring the block.  The distance this morning was .63 mile.  Passers by were polite, not sure If I seemed that way, reminding my small herd to stay focused and moving forward at a reasonable pace.  We may attempt a second walk this morning at a nearby corporate park. My colleagues are busting their butts this morning.  Following the Blog Paws team  #WordlessWednesday yet?  


Thursday


The post updates are a friendly reminder to enjoy spending time with the dogs, get some fresh air and pay attention to the changing season.  How impressed I was with the ease one of the two were able to follow along, loose leash and all, next to the stroller carrying the geriatric dog of the house.  She just pranced along, almost as if it were her job to keep the stroller moving forward.  She's had her fair shares of free rides in the dog stroller and was nice to see her appreciate walking alongside. As a dog owner its still a learning process for me.  I noticed that the medium and larger dog don't enjoy being leashed together via coupler although using the special leash frees up one hand.  I'm not kidding anyone though, that hand is holding a bag, and backup balance for me during those moments a squirrel or interesting scent captures their attention. 



Friday

Its bathtime.  I'm underwhelmed.  This morning we walked through the neighborhood, stopped by one of the basketball courts while listening to Top 40 radio on iHeart.  If I only brought along a basketball we would have hung out a little while longer.  Its simple, I'm noticing, to stick with the early morning walks.  Changing gears from activities involving them to getting on with my day has become a slower than usual process.  They were fed before going for their walk today, still dealing with the food strike to a degree.  Besides a few morning commuters in their vehicles on a main inlet of the neighborhood and one other person walking their dog, the trail was quiet.  We walked at a sluggish 40 minute mile pace and did  7/10 mile.      


Saturday
Thought crossed my mind for a series idea: Fluffy and Fashion Forward for Fall and Winter. A variety of posts about measuring cats and dogs for cute, handmade garments and custom made collars.  Also how to dazzle the fully functioning leashes they currently have with reflective duct tape for night time walks.  Getting prepared for winter walks with custom made booties using a water resistant material, outline from flip flops for soles and adding a built in sock.  Some type of lace slots in the top for fastening the booties to their paw.  Last winter I noticed how harsh the cold air and salt covered streets could potentially harm their little paws and chap noses so I bought a tin can of bag balm.  
Tonight we walked for 18 minutes.  They were visible thanks to the child sized neon shirts I got from Walmart and the LED bicycle light I attached to their leash.